A Checklist of Questions To Ask Before Booking Your Wedding Photographer
Your wedding photography is one of the longest-lasting memento from your wedding day; thus, it’s one of the largest investments you make when getting married. That being said, it’s wise to prepare a list of questions to ask your wedding photographer before making your decision.
In our opinion, asking your wedding photographer questions shows that you care as much about your wedding pictures just as much as you care about the rest of your wedding plans. Any wedding photographer worth his or her salt would welcome questions about wedding photography from potential clients, so don’t be shy about what to ask a wedding photographer when it comes time to sit down and discuss services.
Keep in mind that many of these questions might be answered already on the photographer’s website, so take a few minutes to review the site, especially the policies, FAQs, and package offerings—you might answer some of your own questions this way. Of course, fee free to ask about anything that’s not clear or that you need to double-check.
A few tips to keep in mind:
- Never work with a photographer—or any vendor, for that matter—who refuses to provide you with a copy of the written contract.
- Make sure you have a photographer who has insurance.
- Book someone who works specifically as a wedding photographer. Some photographers focus on fine art photography or landscape, others pursue portraiture, and that’s all well and good, but an investment of this nature deserves to be handled by a specialist, and wedding photographers are the experts in their field of photography.
- Book someone you feel you’ll get along with and be comfortable around!
So, what questions should you pose? We’ve made it easy with our comprehensive checklist of things to ask your wedding photographer. Feel free to print it out and take it with you to your meeting, and happy planning!
When you make the initial call or send an email inquiry:
- Are you available on my date?
- Will you photograph any other weddings on that date?
- How far in advance do I need to book you?
- What do I need to do to book your services?
- Do you travel out of the area? Do you charge a travel fee?
- Am I guaranteed to have you as my photographer?
- Do you bring an assistant?
When you’re meeting face to face:
- Are you familiar with our wedding venue? If not, will you check it out ahead of time to note any lighting issues or interesting natural or architectural elements?
- Is your style traditional, journalistic, or creative?
- Do you prefer to stand back quietly and observe, or do you prefer to orchestrate shots?
- May I see a portfolio of images you’ve taken?
- Do you shoot in digital or film?
- Will you shoot in color or black & white?
- Can I give you a list of specific shots we would like?
- Have you worked with any of my other vendors?
- May I have a list of references?
- Will it be ok for others to take photos when you’re shooting?
- Do you bring extra equipment just in case something happens?
- What is the backup plan in case you can’t be there?
When it comes down to the nitty gritty:
- When will I receive a written contract?
- Does my deposit go toward the total cost?
- Do you offer a payment plan?
- What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- What time will you arrive and how long will you stay?
- If our event runs overtime, will you stay? If so, will you charge an extra fee?
Questions about your actual photographs and orders:
- What packages do you offer?
- Are the packages customizable?
- Do you include engagement photos or bridal portraits in your packages?
- What type of album platforms do you offer?
- Do you provide any assistance in creating an album?
- What photo editing services do you offer?
- When should I expect my proofs?
- When will I receive my pictures?
- How long does it take to receive my wedding album?
- Will I receive the negatives and/or digital images, and is that included in my order?
We love to hear from you, feel free to contact us from below and let us know what resource may benefit you on your wedding plans.